From the Cahal Pech entry in Wikipedia:
Cahal Pech is a Maya site located near the town of San Ignacio in the Cayo District of Belize. The site was a palatial, hilltop home for an elite Maya family, and through the most major construction dates to the Classic period, evidence of continuous habitation has been dated to as far back as 1200 BCE during the Early Middle Formative period (Early Middle Preclassic), making Cahal Pech one of the oldest recognizably Maya sites in Western Belize.
The site rests high above the banks of the Macal River and is strategically located to overlook the confluence of the Macal River and the Mopan River. The site is a collection of 34 structures, with the tallest temple being about 25 m (82 ft) in height, situated around a central acropolis. The site was abandoned in the 9th century CE for unknown reasons.
Site Map of Cahal Pech from Wikipedia
All pictures are © Dr. Günther Eichhorn, unless otherwise noted.
This page contains 18 pictures
Main page for Belize
Page last updated on Mon Dec 30 13:59:38 2019 (Mountain Standard Time)
Cahal Pech on www.guenther-eichhorn.com