From the Swabian Jura entry in Wikipedia:
The Swabian Jura (in German Schwäbische Alb), sometimes also named Swabian Alps in English, is a low mountain range in Baden-Württemberg, Germany, extending 220 km (137 miles) from southwest to northeast and 40 - 70 km (25 - 43 miles) in width. It is named after the region of Swabia.
The Swabian Jura occupies the region bounded by the Danube in the southeast and the upper Neckar in the northwest. In the southwest it rises to the higher mountains of the Black Forest. The highest mountain of the region is the Lemberg (1,015 m (3,330 ft)). The area's profile resembles a high plateau, which slowly falls away to the southeast. The northwestern edge is a steep escarpment (called the Albtrauf or Albanstieg, rising up 400 m (1,310 ft), covered with forests), while the top is flat or gently rolling.
All pictures are © Dr. Günther Eichhorn, unless otherwise noted.
From the Blautopf entry in Wikipedia:
The Blautopf (Blue Pot) is an upwelling spring with a distinct blue color. It is the source of the river Blau. It is located in the city of Blaubeuren, approximately 16 km (10 miles) west of Ulm. It forms the drain for the Blau cave system, where the Blau after 14.5 km (9.0 miles) flows into the river Danube in the city of Ulm. Because of its high water pressure, the spring has developed a funnel-like shape, which at its deepest point has a depth of 21 m (69 ft). The water's peculiarly blue color, varying in intensity due to weather and flow, is the result of physical properties of the nanoscale limestone densely distributed in the water. The particles are so small that the so-called Rayleigh scattering of light takes place, preferentially scattering the blue color in the visible light. Similar effect is observed at the Blue Lagoon in Reykjavik, Iceland, where the blue color originates from nanoscale silica particles.
From the Hohenzollern Castle entry in Wikipedia:
Hohenzollern Castle (German: Burg Hohenzollern) is the ancestral seat of the imperial House of Hohenzollern. The third of three hilltop castles on the site, it is located atop Mount Hohenzollern, above and south of Hechingen, on the edge of the Swabian Jura of central Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
The first fortress on the mountain was constructed in the early 11th century. Over the years the House of Hohenzollern split several times, but the castle remained in the Swabian branch, the dynastic seniors of the Franconian-Brandenburgian cadet branch that later acquired its own imperial throne. This castle was completely destroyed in 1423 after a ten-month siege by the free imperial cities of Swabia. A larger and sturdier structure was constructed from 1454 to 1461, which served as a refuge for the Catholic Swabian Hohenzollerns, including during the Thirty Years' War. By the end of the 18th century it was thought to have lost its strategic importance and gradually fell into disrepair, leading to the demolition of several dilapidated buildings.
The final castle was built between 1846 and 1867 as a family memorial by Hohenzollern scion King Frederick William IV of Prussia. Architect Friedrich August Stüler based his design on English Gothic Revival architecture and the Châteaux of the Loire Valley. No member of the Hohenzollern family was in permanent or regular residence when it was completed, and none of the three German Emperors of the late 19th and early 20th century German Empire ever occupied the castle; in 1945 it briefly became the home of the former Crown Prince Wilhelm of Germany, son of the last Hohenzollern monarch, Kaiser Wilhelm II.
This page contains 29 pictures
Main page for Deutschland (Germany)
Page last updated on Tue Sep 24 18:19:03 2019 (Mountain Standard Time)
Schwäbische Alb on guenther-eichhorn.com